Missionary Work and Dating

Dearest family and friends!
Hello! All is well here in Siberia. Except for the fact that it is
getting colder. But I've decided I can't complain about that because
it's only going to get worse. So here's to wishful thinking that it's
nice and warm. Instead of windy and rainy. Anywhoo. This week was
really good. Sister Barlow and I are running this town around! haha
Just kidding. But we had some really good appointments and in the
meantime have been meeting some very great people. As well as some
very interesting people. So here comes story time. But first. You're
probably wondering what the title means. Why does missionary work and
dating have anything to do with eachother? Here's my theory.
It's probably a bad theory cause you all know my dating record, but here goes.
Missionary work is like dating.
You meet someone.
They look great.
You talk and try to tell them about yourself and make them like you.
And you try to compliment them. Like that's a beautiful shopka!
Then after all this small talk you're super nervous. And you're like.
well... I'd really like to meet with you again. Can I get your number?
I really want to talk to you about eternal families (don't worry. I've
never said that to a boy i was interested in). And then you're all
nervous and you're like are they interested? And then either they say
no. or they say yes! and then you freak out and write their number
down. And then you get all excited and think all day about that
awesome person you met and how they are so great and you can't wait to
teach them.So you call them in a couple days. Like 1 or 2. And you
they don't answer. But they call back! And you're heart flutters. But
then they say they have work. So you try and try again! You think of
cool activities to lure them into thinking you're cool. Or you text
them to see if they've read anything in the book of mormon and your
heart skips a beat when you see a new text but nope. it's not them.
And then you think of all these reasons why they aren't answering
like. "they're probably spending time with their grandma." Or they are
on the metro. Or they are at work. Or maybe they're so busy reading
the book of mormon you gave them they didn't answer! But the reality
is maybe they just aren't ready for this type of commitment. And so
you have to move on and try to find another fish in the sea. But the
great thing is there are a few people who are interested and it works
out great! And there are plenty more fish of the sea ready for a
serious relationship with the gospel of jesus christ!

Okay here's interesting things that happened to me.

1. I stepped on a baby cat. About the size of a softball at a recent
converts house. I felt really bad. Good news. Cats alive. His name is
Dmitri. But the cute shortened nickname form with is DEEMKA. It's
cute.

2. Went tracting in the senior couple's building. Which is nice. Only
two people opened the door on all 8 floors. (granted it was the
afternoon. they're probably at work..) Door #1- the biggest apartment
i've seen in russia. looked straight up out of a music video. big
russian guy with 2 young girls. 2 flat screens. a chiuaha and loud
music. Girl seemed interested. Big russian guy took her away and
closed the door. I have my hypothesis to what kind of job he has but
I'll leave that decision up to you. Door #2- opened so fast I was
caught by suprise. But was more suprised to see a man in his
whitie-tighties and nothing else that I jumped back and wasn't sure if
I should even ask him if he wanted to hear a message because I sure
wasn't going to teach him like that. Luckily Sister Barlow asked and
he said No thanks and closed the door.

3. Sometimes drunk people on the little marshrootka (like a mini bus)
like to sit next to you and play you russian pop songs on their phone
and sing really loud. And then you tell them you can't understand
anything he says and he just smiles and sings to you the whole 45 min
ride.

4. Sometimes, I think I'm starting to learn russian. But then I go to
Sunday school and the teacher writes stuff on the board in cursive and
it looks like an entirely other language. It's nuts. I need to learn
cursive. Because EVERYONE uses it here.

5. Russian people think the floor is really bad. No one will sit on
the floor. They have little stools for everyone hidden around their
apartment. Because it's not acceptable to sit on the rug. Because of
that belief. No one puts their purses on the ground. Therefore in
church several chairs that are really open are not because the
babooshkas put their purses on them. Also don't make the mistake of
putting the hymn books on the ground so that someone can sit in the
chair next to you. Then the babooshka next to you gets mad at you.

6.We've taught a few people who have really cute babies. And it really
sucks that I can't touch them. Olga-with the baby- came to church
yesterday but left during sacrament because poor little andrew was
being fussy. I couldn't help but I tried to show him pictures. If only
Olga knew that in America there are lots of loud babies and it's
totally normal and that she shouldn't feel awkward and leave church.
Because really he wasn't even that bad! He wasn't screaming or crying.
Just talking. Anywhoo. We'll figure something out. And then cute
little andrew can be raised in the church and go on a mission in
17years! That's the plan at least.

7. we had 4 investigators at church yesterday. Can you believe it!? It
was pretty sweet. Next step baptism!

Anywhoo I love you all! I know this church is true. I know the book of
mormon is true and you all need to read it! Because it really is
amazing. It has the answers to all of your questions and concerns in
it. So get to it! I'm going to try and upload some pictures. So we'll
see how this goes. But in answer to your question Mom they have lots
of picture developing places. So I'm gonna develop some soon and send
them out. No worries. Once I figure out how this whole russian mail
system works. I've heard the post office is scary here. So for now
you're all getting one page letters thru the pouch. And I definitely
gave you the wrong address in the other email but I'm sure you have
the mission office address. So it's all good! Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment