First Snowfall. Another elevator story. And epicness

Dear Family, Friends, and Strangers,
This week has been AMAZING! There is so much to tell and we've been
having maybe a little too much fun as missionaries! I hope I can try
to keep this quick yet tell you all the wonderful things that
happened. So let's start with last monday....

1. First borscht at FHE with Lena a member and our investigator jenya.
Very yummy. except for she gave me a bowl about the size of the pot
and i had to be polite and eat it all.

2. On the way to FHE I got a sweet contact. President Gibbons has
challenged us to finish the book of mormon in 85 days (aka by the end
of december) and to carry it in our hands at all times. He really
feels like it is our a "rare possession" and will really hasten the
work. It's been great! Lots of little miracles happening everywhere.
Like a bus driver stopping a bus in Krasnoyarsk and asking the Sisters
what book they were holding. But I had my own little miracle!
The senior couple-the Webbs and our investigator and I were all
waiting for a bus to head to FHE at Lena's. While standing there this
guy came up to me and said that my name tag was interesting. I told
him that I'm a missionary for the church of jesus christ of latter-day
saints and so on. He didn't know anything about it, then I showed him
the Book of Mormon in my hand. His eyes lit up and I told him if he
was interested in reading it and learning more about our church it was
a gift for him. His hands immediately gravitated towards it. He seemed
hypnotized and very interested. I gave it to him and committed him to
read the introduction and the first chapter. It was pretty sweet! We
still have yet to get a meeting with him cause his number isn't
working... (phones here are weird....you pay everymonth but can buy
weird cards. so i still have hope he's going to pay and then i'll call
and it will work.!) anywhoo. the book of mormon is great! I love it!
You should read it! I've challenged myself to give one away everyday
to golden people. Some people want it just because it's a present but
I only give it to people who seem geniunely interested! So far so
good!

3. Tuesday- went to Berdsk. The cute town an hour south of Novo.
President has plans for that city (cool story to follow) and Sister
Barlow and I went to get to work there. We took an electreechka or
electric train. Met this cute girl from Berdsk named yulia and started
talking to her about everything. About 20 minutes into the ride we all
realized we were on the wrong train. So we hopped off and ended up in
who knows where! So luckily we were with a native and she asked some
people and then we went walking. Well more actually hiking. Through
siberia and trees and rocks. And about 45 minutes later we were at
another Train Station! And then we had to wait an hour for the right
train to come. And then still had about 30 minutes to go on the
correct train. WE spent like 3 hours with this one girl. We know
everything about her boyfriend and her school, and her mom, and she
taught us how to tie scarves and we talked to her about the Book of
Mormon and america and church and everything. She said that her family
might be interested and she is too. So I'm pretty sure we're going to
baptize her. haha  There has to be a reason behind spending 3 hours
with this one girl! haha. I'm just glad it was a sunny day and she was
really cool.

4. Wednesday- I love wednesdays. We read the book of mormon with this
group of ladies in english and then have a little spiritual thought.
They are hilarious. Then we have english club. And then we had this
EPIC lesson with Tatiana-new investigator. She came up to me after
english last week and said she wanted to learn more. She is so sweet!
She looks at me with these eyes just thirsty to know more about the
gospel! She's so great. She's been sick so hasn't made it to church
but everytime I call she feels so bad we can't meet or she can't come!
But she came to english and then had a meeting after. Taught her the
1st lesson with Lena a member and Sister Talax. It was so good! She
had great questions and the spirit was so strong. We asked her to be
baptized and her phone rang....So we don't really have a definite yes
or no or date but she said "I just have to read and pray right? Ok
I'll definitely do that. 100%!" Lena and Sister Talak both said to me
while she was out in the hall talking on the phone that they have
never felt the spirit so strong in a lesson and that they know she's
going to be baptized! She's so great! I'm so excited to see how things
go!

5. Thursday- went contacting and stopping by inactives and Sister Lena
(mini-missionary) and I got on a marshrootka. Let me tell you about
marshrootkas. They are crazy. People here are 300 times worse than
Utah drivers. But they are very convienent and faster than buses so
sometimes you just have to go for it! So we get on a marshrootka and
we get in a crash! Some guy clipped the side and all is fine. It
wasn't that bad just scratched it but the driver dropped us off in the
middle of who knows where! So we had to walk and find the next bus
stop and then found our way. I always joke around about how I'm going
to die in a marshrootka one day and little did I know it would
actually happen! But all is well.

6. Friday- district meeting. Is the best. We get to have it at the
senior couples again and they made yummy food and bought babooshka
cake. SOOO GOOOD! But also Sister Lena (mini missionary) has been
teaching us russian songs all week long. While we're walking, cooking
lunch, whatever. I know 2 very famous russian songs that everyone
knows. You learn them in school or something. Anyways at district
meeting she made us all perform. It was great.

7. Saturday- split with left bank! Had sister sanford. She's the best.
She's living in chatsworth next semester so all my droogs out there.
Be friends with her!
First snowfall! It was epic. Took pictures. Also got stuck in the
elevator for 20 minutes with her and Sister Lena. That's the 3rd time
Sister Lena has been stuck this week. One time with each of us
sisters. She thinks she's bad luck or she sinned or something. So we
had to spend a couple minutes reassuring her everythings okay.... It
was hilarious though. Luckily she knows the buttons to push to get
someone to help us now...

8. Sunday- Day in Berdsk! President Gibbons was talking to us at
General Conference last week about how with the new age of
missionaries he has been told to make plans to enlarge the mission
area and know where to place a bunch of new missionaries. he told us
he wanted a town south of novo and we told him about berdsk and how
there are 2 members there already and 3 inactives that are technically
part of the Novo 1st branch. he got excited and told us to organize a
sacrament meeting in berdsk for the following sunday and to check the
place out. So we were able to participate in probably the most
memorable sacrament meeting ever. It was Me, Sister Barlow, Sister
Sanford, The Webb's and President and his wife and then 2 members and
Hadezda's husband who's not a member. In this little apartment. We had
the sacrament and used my pillow case as a white cloth. Then had a
little testimony meeting. Nadezda has been a member for 13 years and
has been praying for a branch to be closer to her and so her sons will
reactivate and maybe her husband will be interested. It was so sweet.
She was glowing! And the spirit was so strong as each of us bore our
testimony! Her husband seemed to be really touched and when we were
leaving we were saying thanks and he said "No thank you! For filling
our home with this great spirit!" I'm pretty sure he's going to be
baptized soon... : ) We're going to start meeting with them soon! But
anywhoo afterwards we kind of showed President around the area and we
threw around ideas for where to put missionaries and where to buy a
branch building or whatever. He doesn't know when or if it will
actually happen but things are looking up and he feels good about it!
It was sweet being a part of that! Maybe I'll get to "open the area!"

Anywhoo. I want you all to know I love you and have been thinking
about you and hope you're staying warm! haha. I know this gospel is
true and it's amazing to see all the wonderful blessings that come
from it! But more it's amazing to see everyday how much heavenly
father loves his children! And how much he's given us.  I want to cry
everytime I think about it! I know that God loves me. And he loves
you. And he loves the Russian People so much and I do too! I'm soo
happy I made the decision to serve a mission. It's been a
rollercoaster. Everyday is different. Some great. Some not so great.
It's definitely been the hardest thing I've ever done but I know that
it's the right thing and I know that with God all things are possible.
Like living in Russia and serving here and doing hard things! Love
you!

Sister Mallory Carling

No comments:

Post a Comment