Chronic Runny Nose



Dear Everyone,

A big frosty hello from Novosibirsk this week! Actually, this week has
been suprisingly warm. Pretty similar to Montana this week from what I
hear. It was a nice and toasty -10 C which is rough 14 degrees F!

I have another question for someone to answer: why is it that when
it's cold, your nose runs? Shouldn't it be the opposite? You think the
temperature would freeze your boogers. Although my nose hairs have
been frozen at some points it doesn't stop the running.
Also nobody responded to my question about Bernadette Peters, and
Grandma Faye was the only one who responded about the number of layers
I'm wearing. She's very close but not quite. So somebody please be a
gem and do some research!

This week nothing super exciting happened. Except my birthday! I'm
officially 22. Weird eh? What's weirder is that I will spend my entire
22nd year of my life in Russia.Crazy! I woke up at 6:30 and opened my
package. I could hardly wait! A big thank you to MOM and Anna for the
lovely drawing. And of course the rest of the fam who contributed
fuzzy thoughts and hugs. Sister Biggs was really nice and made me a
nice chocolatey and marshmallowy cake. It was yummy. We had to share
it at the mission office because there was too much chocolate going on
for the two of us. We then had a goal for 4 member lessons and the 4th
of december. Unfortunately we did not quite make that goal because
some people bailed on us. But nonetheless it was very good. Our
investigator Jenya gave me a nice little flower (so Russian! they give
everyone flowers!) and my favorite member of the ward Vera gave me a
box of chocolate truffles! She's the best!

The rest of the week was filled with missionary work. Crazy eh? But
here are a couple random thoughts and highlights

- I was asked out by a 12 year old boy on the street. We were doing
English Club contacting in the park and this boy asked me to go play
in the snow with him and go on a walk. He then asked if I would be
going to the New Years Even Party in the center of Novo. He was a
little crushed when I told him I couldn't. I find it quite hilarious
that I'm getting asked out on more dates on my mission than before my
mission. haha. I can't tell you how many times people ask me if I have
a boy friend or If I need a husband cause they would happily marry me.
There are also several Babooshkas who want to set me up with their
grandsons, or their sons. haha. I had one lady tell me "that's too bad
you don't have a boyfriend. You're so beautiful." I about died
laughing. So if all else fails in life, I'll just come back to Russia!
haha Just kidding. A lot of people tell me to go find a husband in
america cause the men are better there and they don't drink and smoke
as much (probably true...)

-Russian TV: has anybody heard back from Kyle's interview thingy?
Because recently some sort of documentary came out on TV here about
Mormons. And it was apparently in collaboration with the government
here and the Provoslavnee Church (big russian orthodox church) and it
was pretty bad. They talked about how the temple, and tithing and how
they are paying americans, and the prophet and how everyone who
becomes a member is part of a cult.Oh and of course polygamy and
people have been asking me about it alot. It's been very hard to find
some people to teach! But the elders quoted something from Brigham
Young the other day in District meeting about how when we are under
persecution it only fuels us more and makes us work harder and faster
(or something to that extent) and let's be real. We all know the
Lord's side wins in the end! But anywhoo. Just a minor hiccup in the
missionary work this week.

-Health: I'm sorry that Aaron's health is not doing so well! Feel
better bud! But here in Russia health is a funny topic. When you eat
food at someone's house and you say "thank you. it's delicious!" they
tell you "With health!" and when you sneeze they say "be healthy! ( in
command form) of course it means bless you or excuse you but i think
it's pretty funny. People here always say that they are sick. Whether
they have a headache or a cut on their finger it means the same.
People are also kind of wimpy when it comes to being sick. Many people
don't come to church cause they are "Pre-sick" or can't meet cause
they are sick. But in reality it's just a little something maybe a
little cough or a headache. In america you go to work and school
unless you are puking. Or super contagious. But you just kind of deal
with it. But my health has never been better! Although I'm probably
second hand smoking at least 1 or 2 cigarettes a day Sister Biggs and
I have been eating very well and getting sleep and exercising. I've
actually been losing weight! And another funny thing. When people tell
you that you look like you've lost weight. In america I would say. "Oh
really? Thank you!" but here I said "thank you!" and the members
replied, "for what? are you or are you not losing weight?" and then I
said "yes, just a little." and they say "your mom is not going to be
able to see you when you come home!" "you better eat some more food or
you are going to be sick!" but no worries. I'm positive that you'll be
able to see me when I get home and I'm not getting sick!

-I've hit my 6 month mark on the mission. I'm officially 1/3 done.
Crazy to think. Has it flown by for you too?

-This week I've been studying about how to be successful missionary,
it's been a little difficult with lack of investigators and baptisms
and all that jazz but I've learned something very important. It's all
about the spirit! As long as I feel the spirit as I'm teaching,
studying and working with people I'm being successful. Maybe these
people aren't going to accept the gospel right away or while I'm
working with them, but as long as I'm loving and serving them and
helping them have spiritual experiences then I'm being successful. I
can truly say that I love the people here, the people we're working
with, the people in the ward and the missionaries here and I'm
striving each day to listen to more fully the promptings of the spirit
and helping others recognize the spirit. So I challenge all of you,
maybe you feel like you're not being successful, or you're having a
rough time. Evaluate your relationship with the holy ghost. Are you
feeling his presence? Are you loving and serving others? I'm pretty
sure if you start working on loving, serving, and strengthening your
relationship with the Holy Ghost it will be better! I love you all! I
know this church is true! I'm so grateful for it! And to be a
missionary!

Love,
Sister Carling

PIctures:
Me and Mama Frost in the park by our house
me and my birthday presents from Jenya and Vera
me and my birthday sign and birthday diet coke!





No comments:

Post a Comment