It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

Yes folks that is right. It is beginning to look a lot like Christmas.
Well it has been for like a month now with all this snow but in case
you were wondering what Christmas looks like in Novosibirsk Russia
visualize this...
- 3 feet of snow outside.
-lots of gray buildings
-people decked out in fur. like everywhere. hats, boots, coats, gloves
everything is furry.
-lots of people shoveling. which seems to be pointless because it just
keeps snowing.
-and pretty much like normal russia. People here don't really
celebrate christmas like they do in America. But I'm here to change
that. Apparently new years is the bigger holiday here. but Last monday
we decked out our apartment in Christmas decorations. Missionaries old
and young have been living in our apartment for like the last 6 years
so there is a lot of random crap left around. We saw a christmas tree
in a closet and this huge bag and we opened up the bag and there is
like a bajillion christmas decorations. Needless to say we went a
little crazy. We have lights hanging around our apartment. Snowman
table cloths on the kitchen table and our area book desk. 2 small
christmas trees. Stockings taped to the wall. And tinsel everywhere.
It's very classy. But it makes me happy. We plug in the lights while
we're studying and at night during planning and it's just so cozy and
holiday-ish!

Now it's time to play a game.
Let's guess how many layers sister carling is wearing! First one to
write me back with the correct amount gets a souvenier!
This is counting, how many socks, tights, thermals and pairs of
underwear I'm wearing. Plus skirts and sweaters and shirts. I assure
you this will probably one of the funnest games you've ever played!
(ps-everyone is welcome to email me. just make sure you put your
address so I can send you a letter back!)

-hey mom- random thought. can you send me some recipes? like grandma's
cinnamon rolls, the yummy brown butter frosting I made last year off
of pinterest and yummy stuff you can cook with cabbage and potatoes?

This week has kind of been depressing. Not going to lie. We're kind of
in this sticky position. No one is really progressing and it's been
really hard to find new investigators/ appointments and it's been a
really nice toasty temperature outside of about -20 or -25 Degrees
Celcius which is about freezing cold on a scale of cold to butt cold.
haha. Yesterday I was told that one of our investigators didn't come
to church because she is sick of everyone hounding her about baptism
and us talking about it. She's been coming to church since her Son (
who's a member) passed away in March but for some reason feels like
she needs time before she committs to baptism. I thought we were
getting closer to uncovering her doubts and answering her questions
and concerns but I've seemed to push her further away. Needless to say
yesterday I cried a little. I feel terrible because I've just been
trying to be a good missionary, work hard and help and serve people
but so far nothing has really come out of it. No one seems to be
progressing from it.

But it's alright. It's December! The best month of the year! My
birthday is tomorrow! And to celebrate we are having 4 investigator
lessons with a member present! To Celebrate the 4th of December! It's
going to be epic. Sometimes heavenly father gives us trials and
humbles us so that we learn and grow more. I've decided that this is
probably one of those times. I'm going to learn as much as I can from
this experience and just work harder and I know the Lord will bless
me!

I'm grateful for our savior Jesus Christ. I'm grateful for his birth
and this is a wonderful time of the year to reflect on his birth, his
life, his ministry and his atonement!  I challenge you all to remember
what Christmas is all about and use this month as a time to serve
those around you. To help and uplift those who are dreary and down
trodden. Reach out to those inactives. Share the message of our Savior
Jesus Christ with those you know. It's an incredible gift we've been
given. To know who we are. Where we come from. Why we are here and we
we are going. I know the Savior lives and loves me and he loves all of
you. I'm grateful for all your love and support!

Love,

Sister Carling




No comments:

Post a Comment